Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DIY Lamp Inspiration

Oh I'm so excited! I am currently waiting impatiently for my lamp kit from txlampparts to arrive so that I can make my knock-off PB Caged Glass Table Lamps . Stay Tuned - for how to, parts, and results... I have a feeling they are going to be aaaamazing! But anyway, since I now know everything any 28 year old female ever needed to know about lamps and parts, I have my wheels turning and decided that Heidi needs to make her own lamps too.

Take a ride with me...
PB Serena Antique Mercury Glass Table Lamps
The lamp on the left is the inspiration for Heidi's DIY project. Retail price $100.00...actually on the cheaper side for PB.

So, we turn to my recent knowledge of lamp making...I know that I need a diamond bit to drill through glass, we have that to make my lamps! Check! Step 2 - the glass - Can we say apothecary jar? Hello!

Do you see the shape? Looks pretty perfect to me. You can get one of these for about $15.00 at Michaels or Homegoods - maybe even less if you get a Michaels coupon! So then we buy the lamp kit & harp from my new bffs at txlampparts.com - I'm doing the silver one with a clear cord b/c this is glass. We'll need to remove the top part of the lid so the cord can go through, but thanks to pinterest via Picklee I know How to Break the Bottle. Is pinterest not the best thing since sliced bread?? Sooo we have the glass, we have the bottle broken, we have power but Melissa, this glass is clear, the lamp is mercury...well now comes my other favorite website - PINTEREST!!! Pinned via Dream to Life all you need to do is spray some water, then spray Krylon Looking glass spray paint and then BAM! DIY Mercury Glass.

Ok, so we have the glass look achieved. NOW, we can leave  it flat OR I just found today thanks to addictedtodecorating.com - we can add a ceiling pendant thing to the foot - depending on which apoth jar we use. How pretty would that be at the bottom?

Ceiling Pendant for Light Fixture glued to a piece of wood - Brilliant! 
Adds a little more height if desired, paint it to match the glass and then BAM! Instant lamp. Anybody else made a lamp out of random things around the house? Had success or failure? I'm going to be starting on mine tomorrow I believe and just wait till you see what random part I'm using...it's going to be fun!!

Tune in later for when I actually make this, because I will. I can't get it out of my head...Heidi will have these lamps in her house!

By the way, if you are wondering, where do I get this magical paint that makes mirror out of regular glass? Home depot? NO! Lowes? Try again! Michaels? NOPE! Are you ready for this tragic news?? WALMART! UGH! Do yourself a favor and go online and check the store before you fight the POW for no reason. Not trying to be snotty, I'm just a target girl.

Yea, that's me! 
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment